I can honestly say my trip to Thailand was a once in a lifetime trip. Partly because it takes 24 hours of flights to get there and partly because there were just so many amazing things. We were there for 4 days – a short time, I know – but I was tagging along on my boyfriend’s work trip and just taking advantage of the opportunity.
Things we did:
- Nighttime tuk tuk tour of Bangkok where we got to see a night market, flower market, the Giant Swing, and multiple temples.
- The Golden Mountain
- Elephant Sanctuary visit where I got to feed the elephants, put mud on them, and bathe them!
Things I learned:
- I’m really grateful for the night tour because we tried exploring temples during the day and it was so hot and crowded I almost passed out when we went to the Golden Mountain.
- There are so many temples and shrines in Bangkok and they are all beautiful and it is a beautiful thing to see so many people worship and leaving gorgeous flowers as offerings.
- Never book a tour or experience that includes riding elephants, forcing them to do tricks, or has handlers that use cruel tools to control the elephants. The elephants I visited were rescued from dangerous tourist and working environments.
Since we mostly stayed in Bangkok, I can really only speak to the city. It’s similar to a lot of big cities – lots of malls, traffic, people. But it’s easy to get around and even the malls have hidden gems with really good food. I know I only saw a snippet of what Thailand had to offer, but it left a good impression on me. Everyone was friendly and we were coming into Thailand somewhat guarded because our trip to Egypt was so stressful when it came to being a tourist. I would definitely go back to Asia again, if anything this trip made it more of a travel priority for me!
Have you ever been to Asia?